Marin General Hospital offers full-service orthopedic care, from pre-surgical evaluation, to surgery and rehabilitation. We have performed thousands of orthopedic surgical procedures in the last decade. What’s more, our outcomes are excellent, with joint replacement patients going home after 1.4 days. Our surgical expertise includes:
- Ankle replacement surgery
- Full and partial knee replacement surgery
- Hip preservation
- Hip replacement, both posterior and anterior
- Orthopedic hand surgery
- Orthopedic spine surgery
- Shoulder replacement surgery
- Minimally invasive procedures with smaller incisions that spare muscle, tendons, and bone, and reduce blood loss
- Trauma-related orthopedic surgery
All joint replacement patients are encouraged to attend our complimentary Total Joint Class. This service helps our patients feel informed about their procedure and involved in their own care.
Innovation and Technology
- Unlike most academic hospitals, where a surgeon works with a resident, we perform many procedures with two surgeons operating in tandem. This shortens the length of surgery and allows for the patient to awake from anesthesia sooner.
- We do patient-specific knee implants, using a personalized "cutting guide" devised from precise calculations based on MRIs of the individual patient’s knee.
- We have two dedicated joint-replacement operating rooms, plus one dedicated spine operating room.
- We offer a wide variety of sophisticated, minimally invasive spine surgeries, including cervical disc replacement with the revolutionary Prestige® prosthetic disc that preserves motion in the neck.
- Our new Hana® operating platform is specially designed for anterior hip replacements.
- During surgery, we use the Aquamantys™ System to seal blood vessels in soft tissue and bone. This technology helps prevent blood loss, pain, and swelling, and reduces the number of patients requiring transfusion.
Innovative Approaches to Anesthesia
- Multimodal Pain Management: Postoperative pain can slow down a recovery process that is based on increasing the use of a new joint. We are one of the few hospitals in the Bay Area to offer multimodal pain management for orthopedic surgeries. This technique combines a cyclooxygenase (COX)-1 inhibitor, a COX-2 inhibitor, and an opioid to control pain on three different levels in the brain. We start pain relief before the patient even goes into the OR, to prepare the body for pain.
- Spinal Anesthetic for Hip Replacements: The amount of general anesthesia required for hip replacement surgery can be reduced through the use of a spinal anesthetic.
- Continuous Nerve Block for Knee Replacement: We administer a continuous nerve block during and up to two days after a knee replacement. This reduces the amount of general anesthesia needed to perform the surgery and makes the initial stages of recovery less painful.
Our board-certified orthopedic surgeons have received specialized and/or fellowship training in specific procedures and our board-certified anesthesiologists have special experience in orthopedic anesthesia for both planned and emergency surgeries. All of our dedicated surgical nurses are specially trained in orthopedics, while our compassionate physical therapists have 450 years combined experience. The team is exceptionally collaborative and regularly discusses current cases in multi-disciplinary neuro-spine rounds that include surgery, radiology, physiatrists, nurse practitioners, physical therapists, occupational therapists, case management, orthopedic and spine coordinators.