Why Choose Robotic Surgery?
Surgery has evolved dramatically in recent years, with an increasing number of procedures routinely performed minimally invasively, through laparoscopy. Now, thanks to robotic assisted surgery, surgeons can perform minimally invasive procedures with greater precision than ever before. As Marin’s leading health care provider, we offer the first and only robotic program in Marin County. This robust and versatile technology helps us achieve our goal of always operating as minimally invasively as possible.
Robotic-assisted surgery offers patients and physicians considerable advantages over traditional open surgeries, such as:
- Significantly less pain
- Reduced blood loss and less blood transfusions
- Fewer complications
- Smaller scars
- A faster recovery and return to normal daily activities
Our program was developed around the latest advancement in robotic surgery, the da Vinci® SI Surgical System. The high-definition da Vinci® SI allows our robotic surgeons to perform a range of procedures for urological, gynecological, and general surgery conditions. Patients can benefit from that high level of expertise, with some added advantages:
- The convenience of having surgery close to home
- A reduced wait. Academic centers tend to have longer wait lists and may schedule surgery months in advance
- Quick, easy access to physicians and their teams
- Personalized, concierge-style service with a navigator to help facilitate the process
- Cutting edge technology, including the latest daVinci® SI Robotic platform and Firefly technology, which uses near infra-red imaging and a tracer die to produce exceptionally detailed imaging during surgery. Firefly technology reveals a tumor’s blood supply and shows a clear delineation between the tumor and healthy tissue.
Single-Site Gall Bladder Surgery: A Virtually Scarless Procedure
During da Vinci Single-Site Surgery, doctors remove the patient’s gallbladder using guided imaging and state-of-the-art precision instruments. Surgery is performed through one incision in the belly button, with virtually scarless results similar to single incision traditional laparoscopy.
The Experts behind the equipment
Robotic technology is impressive, but without a talented surgeon manning the equipment, it’s just a sophisticated tool. Successful robotic surgery requires extensive training, experience, and skill. Marin General Hospital has an exceptionally experienced surgical staff. Many of our surgeons have trained in and even taught robotic surgery techniques at some of the nation’s top medical schools. All of our robotic surgeons are trained and certified to use the da Vinci® SI system for specific procedures within their specialty, including: