Surgery isn’t what it used to be, and that’s a good thing. When Marin General Hospital first opened its doors, most surgeries were invasive (open) and required general anesthesia and a hospital stay.
Today, thanks to technological advances like laparoscopy, computer guidance, interventional radiology, and the da Vinci® robotic surgical system, many procedures that used to require open surgery can be performed minimally invasively. That means less anesthesia, smaller incisions, and less bleeding. Post-surgical pain is reduced and easier to manage, and patients usually go home the same day.
As Marin’s ONLY designated Trauma Center, we still perform open surgeries when necessary. In fact, we always keep a room available and a dedicated surgical team on call, 24/7, for emergency trauma surgery.
Through our strategic alliance with UCSF Health we have established an outpatient pediatric surgery program – staffed by UCSF Pediatric Surgeons and Anesthesiologists. Addionally, our Trauma Center is staffed with UCSF Health Neurosurgeons.
Keeping You Informed and at Ease
Our philosophy of patient-centric care means we treat the whole patient – mind, body, and spirit. We prepare you physically, mentally, and emotionally for your surgery. In addition to explaining your procedure to you in detail, step-by-step; we provide navigators for certain procedures that may be more emotionally or physically stressful, such as cancer surgeries and joint replacements. We also offer a complimentary joint replacement class taught by our Orthopedic Nurse Navigator, with the participation of a Physical Therapist and an Occupational Therapist. Our surgical nurses have had special training in aromatherapy and use essential oils such as lavender, bergamot, and peppermint before procedures to help you relax and reduce stress, pain, insomnia, and nausea.
The Right Place for Your Procedure
Marin General Hospital is designated one of the nation’s top 100 Great Community Hospitals by the prestigious Becker’s Hospital Review. Whether you need open or minimally invasive surgery, Marin General Hospital is here to provide you with the expert services you need. In fact, we have low infection rates, and excellent outcomes and quality ratings. Staff in our Pre-Admission Center will guide you through the pre-admission process by setting you up with hospital registration, financial counseling, and a health evaluation in one convenient “Prepare Appointment.”
Our surgeons are masters in their respective fields and are always on the lookout for innovative procedures that can benefit their patients. We have wide range of surgical specialists and are staffed and equipped to perform a full range of procedures, including:
- Plastic and reconstructive surgeries, including skin-sparing mastectomies and masterful reconstructive surgeries, gender alignment procedures, and the latest techniques for rhinoplasty.
- Sophisticated spine surgery and brain surgery. We offer complex corrective surgeries for scoliosis, kyphoplasty for spine fractures and osteoporosis damage, surgery to remove skull and brain tumors, and emergency surgery for bleeding in the brain and other brain injuries.
- Orthopedic surgery. Some of the highlights of our program are partial knee replacements and the use of computer imaging to custom-fit a total knee replacement. We offer shoulder replacement using the revolutionary Zimmer Anatomical Shoulder™ System. Our surgeons perform both posterior and anterior hip replacements using the innovative Uni joint prosthesis.
- da Vinci® robotic surgeries for gynecological and urological conditions, laparoscopic hysterectomies, prostatectomies, and single-site gallbladder removal.
- Kidney and bladder cancer surgery, including laparoscopic surgery for kidney cancer and the creation of a "neobladder" for bladder cancer patients, using the patient’s own intestinal tissue.
- Endoscopic procedures, including colonoscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy, and other routinely performed endoscopic procedures.
- Vascular surgeries ranging from aortic aneurism repair to the Venefit™ varicose vein procedure to minimally invasive catheter-based interventions.
- Heart surgery covers the entire range of procedures excluding heart transplants. We have surgeons specializing in general heart, structural heart (TAVR and Watchman), and valve surgeries. We are also known for interventional cardiology, such as the minimally invasive MAZE procedure for the surgical treatment of atrial fibrillation.
- Trauma surgery. As a Level III Designated Trauma Center – the only one in Marin – we have added neurological capabilities allowing us to perform emergency surgery for traumatic injuries of the spine and brain as well as a collaboration with UCSF’s Department of Neurosurgery which will allow for inpatient and outpatient trauma services at Marin General Hospital.
After surgery, patients are taken to the Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) to begin recovery and monitoring for 1–2 hours. We also have a fully equipped ICU providing specialized care for patients who have just had a complex procedure such as open-heart or trauma surgery.
The Cutting Edge of Technology
In order to bring the latest surgical techniques to the people of Marin, it’s essential that we keep up with medical innovation. Below are a few examples of our leading-edge technologies:
- Real-time intraoperative neuromonitoring and fluoroscopy x-ray imaging during surgery
- Transesophageal echo imaging to closely monitor the heart during heart surgery, on ALL heart surgery patients
- Our new, fully equipped, dedicated heart surgery room with an operating room that’s specially designed for heart procedures such as the da Vinci® robotic surgical platform
- The new Hana® table, for anterior hip replacements, innovative prostheses and implants for joint replacements, back surgery, and heart and vascular conditions
- The Aquamantys® System to seal blood vessels in soft tissue and bone during joint replacement surgery, helping to prevent blood loss, pain, and swelling, and reducing the number of patients requiring transfusion
Our staff’s warm, caring approach is reassuring to both adult and pediatric patients. All of our surgeons are highly specialized, board-certified, and fellowship trained at some of the finest medical schools and teaching hospitals in the nation. We have expert anesthesiologists, including two that are dedicated to heart surgeries and specially trained in transesophageal echo technology. Our team includes CNOR-certified, specialized nurses for every area of surgery, and our recovery area is staffed with a seasoned PACU (post-anesthesia care unit) team. We also have excellent technologists in anesthesia, endoscopy, and other specialized areas.
Our Surgery Center, located on the third floor of Marin General Hospital's Central Wing, was designed to keep pace with the evolution of surgery—and with our patients’ changing needs. The Surgery Center serves patients having minimally invasive, non-emergency surgeries and elective procedures. The pleasant surroundings, advanced registration process and high level of individual attention from our staff help to reduce the stress often associated with surgery. The center has two endoscopy suites and four operating rooms. In addition, we have an Outpatient Surgery Center where we perform pediatric surgeries.
Our Main Operating Rooms, including the specialized Heart Room, are dedicated for open surgery and located on the first floor. We also have a dedicated C-section room, always ready and staffed for emergency cesareans.