Our patient navigators provide each prostate cancer patient with a “point person”—a specially trained RN or social worker who gives guidance throughout the treatment process. Navigators provide advocacy, education, and support from diagnosis to recovery to help patients feel calmer and more in control.
At various stages of treatment, a navigator can do the following:
- Assist in the diagnostic evaluation process
- Help men make informed decisions, providing medical information and resource materials
- Educate patients on healthful habits and stress management
- Provide psychosocial and emotional support for patients and their families
- Assist patients in understanding and managing symptoms and side effects of treatment
- Serve as a liaison between the patient and the health care team
- Provide referrals to support services and complementary therapies
- Act as a liaison between the patient, his doctors (including the primary care physician), and his family
Our navigators have many years of experience and a strong interest in holistic health, so they encourage patients to take advantage of the integrated services offered at the Center for Integrative Health & Wellness (CIHW).