Marin General Hospital Dramatically Enhances Cancer Fighting Capability as Only North Bay Hospital to Offer TrueBeam RadiotherapyNew state-of-the art technology offers improved accuracy and offers better control than ever before
GREENBRAE, CA — Marin General Hospital has dramatically enhanced its cancer fighting capabilities with the acquisition of two new state-of-the-art Varian TrueBeam™ radiotherapy systems to treat complex cancers, such as head and neck, lung, breast, abdomen and brain. Marin General Hospital is the only hospital in the North Bay to feature this technology and the only one in the entire Bay Area to offer two TrueBeam systems. This innovative technology redefines radiotherapy as we know it, delivering non-invasive cancer treatments with pinpoint accuracy, making treatment shorter and significantly more comfortable for patients.
This ground-breaking technology allows doctors to tailor treatments specific to the individual patient's particular cancer and improves on many aspects of previous radiotherapy treatments, including:
- Comfort: Quiet operation and shorter treatment times create a more comfortable experience for the patient. Monitoring also has two-way audio, allowing for patients and doctors to speak during the treatment.
- Speed: TrueBeam™ treatments that once took 20 to 40 minutes can now be completed in a fraction of the time. With faster treatment, the hospital is able to increase the number of patients they can treat, while increasing comfort and reducing patient stress.
- Precision: The precision of Varian’s TrueBeam™ system better than a half-millimeter and it performs self-checks continuously during treatment. This helps the oncologist protect critical organs and healthy tissue surrounding the tumor.
- Efficiency and Versatility: The sophisticated system can deliver multiple forms of radiotherapy treatments and integrates respiratory gating, real-time tracking, imaging, and treatment delivery in one streamlined system, making it possible to tailor patient’s treatments using a variety of methods and deliver them with quick accuracy.
- Visibility: Advanced imaging allows clinicians to see the tumor in 3D and view images 60 percent faster than earlier Varian technology, allowing oncologists to reduce the X-ray dose to the patient by 25 percent.
“We are making great strides in cancer treatment at Marin General Hospital and are delighted to offer our patients advanced treatment options during their cancer battle. The highly sophisticated TrueBeam radiotherapy system underscores our ability to boost the accuracy and efficiency of our cancer treatments, deliver them in considerably less time and increase patient comfort in the process,” said Lee Domanico, Chief Executive Officer for Marin General Hospital.
“We are proud to be the only hospital in the North Bay to feature this technology and the only one in the entire Bay Area to have two TrueBeam systems. This also now means that our patients don’t have to leave Marin to get access to some of the best radiation therapy available.”
About Marin General Hospital
Marin General Hospital has been meeting the community’s health care needs since 1952. Many Marin County residents choose to live here because they appreciate the healthy lifestyle and transformative natural environment. In keeping with the values and needs of the community, Marin General Hospital is dedicated to treating the whole patient, mind, body and soul. Their mission is to provide the people of Marin with the healing care they want and deserve.
Marin General Hospital offers advanced medical expertise, technology, and treatments in an exceptionally healing environment. It also gives patients the opportunity to complement their medical treatment with integrative therapies at our Center for Integrative Health and Wellness. Together, Marin General Hospital care teams deliver award-winning services that are recognized by patients and their families, as well as by independent organizations who rank the hospital among the best. For more information, please visit https://www.maringeneral.org/about-us.